Thursday, August 27, 2009

The tennis addiction



Can Federer win the U.S. Open again? Of course he can (and I write this as a huuuge Rafa fan). Possible surprise U.S. Open winners could be Del Potro or one of the Andys. Sadly, I don't think Rafa has returned to his stellar self yet. At least Nadal and Federer are on opposite sides of the draw (though I'm not betting they'll meet in the final). Just a hunch.

Will Serena find her A game and win another slam this year? I wouldn't put it past her.

We're five days away from the U.S. Open. I debated going to NY to see the action up close and personal, but unfortunately fiduciary common sense had to prevail. Ah, well.

Until the real action starts, allow me to take a moment or two to talk about my experience with tennis. My dad taught me how to play when I was 11 or 12 (late by today's standards). My younger sister, however, got pegged as the athletic one and competed from 12-14. I never really found a toehold, though I played tennis (poorly and with little confidence) on the high-school tennis team.

When I picked up my racquet again this spring, something had shifted. For one thing, I have greater flexibility, thanks to doing yoga regularly for the past 15 or so months. That has made a huge difference.

I have a natural two-handed backhand (thanks, Dad!) and have worked to improve the mechanics of my forehand and serve, for starters. I'm playing at the 3.0 level, by the way. I've also been playing on a team. Matches definitely get the adrenalin pumping, but they're not so terror-inducing as they were in May.

The thing is that I want to be on the court every day (I manage to play 2-3 times a week). For the first time in my life, I'm thinking of myself as an athlete. That's a pretty stunning development for a lifelong reader and spectator.

I have a decent serve, which gives me a modicum of pleasure. I'm taking lessons and going to a clinic now and again. It's a real joy. If only I could do more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment