Friday, September 25, 2009

Make yourself heard


Let's face it. As women most of us got the message that we're supposed to placate, get along, be seen but not heard. If you look at who's winning on the tennis courts, you might want to rethink the wallflower approach. It certainly worked for Monica Seles (above), one of the original grunters on the WTA tour.

Last night a friend who I'm playing doubles with in a social tournament on Sunday told me to try grunting when I serve. She's rated 3.5 and has a pretty powerful first serve. Her advice comes from a serve clinic she attended last weekend. After work tonight, I went out with my ball hopper (thankfully, I was the only on the two courts) and gave it a whirl. Definitely gave my serve a little extra oomph. Maybe it will psych out the competition on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment