Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bad behavior


What got into Serena Williams tonight? Playing Kim Clijsters in the semis at the U.S. Open, Serena couldn't get her game together. Clijsters beat Serena (6-4, 7-5) using a combination of aggression, speed, and solid shot-making, but the World #2 also beat herself. She wasn't getting many first serves in and she was winning a dismal 33 percent on her second serves (which lacked their usual kick).

When Williams smashed a racquet in frustration when she double-faulted to hand Clijsters the first set, I thought maybe a little anger would help her get her head in the game and get her game together. Nope. I've seen Serena play flat, and though I wouldn't accuse her of that tonight, I have to level a worse charge.

As Serena served down one set at 5-6, 15-30, a linesperson called a foot fault on Williams' second serve, putting the score at 15-40. Serena, who didn't appear to foot-fault according to the replay, went off on this woman, who appeared half her size. According to the LA Times, which cites the accounts of courtside spectators, Serena said: "You don't know me. You better be right. I could shove this ball down your throat." Really awful. Unsportsmanlike.

Her hideous outburst and the earlier racquet abuse combined for a point penalty. With that, she lost the match and her dream of capturing her third Slam of the year. A shame, really, and horrible to behold in someone I admire and support. She showed no contrition in the press conference afterwards. I'm left with a sour feeling.

Gotta give kudos to Klijsters, who I imagine will beat Wozniacki in the final tomorrow, for playing a great, focused match and looking like a real champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment